RSS

Depot Makan 3 Sekawan

Okay, so up next is this restaurant tucked away at the single row shop right next to St Patrick's Anglican Church, Jalan Dunlop (or more precisely, right in front of the newly build LA Hotel, Tawau). If you say that the name sounds familiar and you thought that you saw one in Sabindo town, well.. you're absolutely right! So far they have two branches and if things goes as they are now, I'm pretty sure that they'll be a third one soon.

Overall the food is mainly a combination of local Malay and Indonesia food (but more towards the Indonesian side of course - since the decor & even the waiters are almost all Javanese as well). And you know what they say about Javanese food (well, at least this humble lady says so)... it's delicious to the core! The sambal (to my Nasi Goreng Ayam Penyet order) is one of the spiciest I've encountered so if you one of those that easily goes all red at the slight mention of the hot & spicy (that has got nothing to do with Colonel Sanders) variety, then stay as far away as possible. I mean, I'm a self-proclaimed spice lover and even I needed to have my handy cold water with me (which doesn't really help you during those situations - learnt my lesson there folks!). I've tried their Meehoon Sup Ayam before and it's very good as well. They also have a buffet style 'lauk' where you can pick the food of your choice from the trays provided (hence the very simple looking Nasi Kuning Ayam below - my partner is the king of simplicity). On a personal note, I also would like to give a shout-out to their Cucur Jagung which was one of my favourite as well.

Decor wise, it's a simple looking place with a few Javanese decor on the wall and quite a spacious place to sit and eat (there's the front side overlooking LA Hotel, and there's the back side where you'll be looking at the main Jalan Dunlop road). Service here is pretty good, although the kitchen might need a little more help since it does requires some time for your food to arrive.

** Current status - Still in operation (as of October 2013)











  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment