RSS

My Native Sabah (KK FoodieVenture #159)

From the East Asian palate, we now move on to some local flavours. And by that I mean a real local flavour experience. I had a couple of Kadazan-Dusun friends who'd recommended me several eateries that provided authentic Kadazan dishes and only this time around that I was able to go to one. It was when my partner had arrived from Tawau a day before and we decided to be adventurous and try out this eatery, located at the ever lively Plaza 333 commercial area in Penampang. Although I was well aware that the place was on the 1st floor, me and my partner still took at least 15 minutes driving around the area and being hilariously confused as to where it was. As it turns out, we'd missed a lane and yes, that lane also happens to be where they are (if you're just coming into the area from the main road entrance, they are on the right side; on the second row from the front) 

We pretty much went into the place blind so we chose dishes that looks good on the menu and had gone for the Linopot Miagal Di Gulu Ikan Masin set and the Sambal Fried Ikan Tenggiri dishes respectively. My partner is someone who doesn't easily adapt to a new palate so he'd played it safe and chose what he thought was familiar to him (which was the latter). He does like the fish but as predicted, he found the Red Bario rice and condiments to be weird tasting. Me on the other hand is his exact opposite when it comes to food and ended up loving the food that I had. It's been a long time since I've had a salted fish and the dish just brings out the 'hunger' in you. Heck, I was so into my food that I even cleared out the condiments that my partner had left out. Although I do admit that the Tuhau, Bambangan and Hinava took some time getting use to (with the tastes) but I ended up liking them and it does compliment the main dish really well. Overall, a positive first time experience for me so I'm happy.









  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment