RSS

Outward Vacay: Kota Kinabalu Marriott Hotel

Yes... I'm a little embarrassed to say that I was one of those people that practically packed my bags the moment they announced that they allowed crossed district traveling during CMCO. It was the end of the year and despite the ongoing Covid problem, I still feel like I needed some 'me' time. And since my partner can only join me a few days into my trip, I literally got my wish (wink wink)

I was actually in KK for a little over a week and the latter part of it I spent at this internationally renowned hotel (before that I stayed at my personal fave the Hotel 7 Suria). I was obviously curious about this hotel chain but it was mostly because of their very enticing promotional price that got me really hooked. I was pretty excited during check in but was taken aback when the reception area (and by that I mean a really huge, gorgeous area) was empty when I first arrived. Like seriously, no one was manning the counter (nor were there anyone else within the lobby - exactly like out of a mystery movie). My partner had just arrived from Tawau as well at that time so both of us were left confused but a few moments later the sole receptionist popped out of the back and everything went smoothly after that. It seems that the hotel might be cutting back on their staff and it's understandable since the CMCO (and the current reimplemented MCO) pretty much wrecked every business there is. 

Since there aren't that many people staying at the hotel at said time, almost everyone that did were checked into the Lobby B floors (they actually had 2 blocks of guestrooms or 'lobbies', on the opposite sides of each other). The good news was that it was on the same block as their swimming pool, a rooftop restaurant, gym, sauna and their 4th floor parking (more on that later). The (slightly) bad news however was that it can be a bit noisy since everyone was lumped into the same area (like we did as our neighbour had very 'active' children so..). In general, we were quite pleased with the room that we'd gotten as it was spacious, modernly designed and has a good view of the city. They also had one of those open concept bathroom slash vanity area which my partner was impressed with (and don't worry, you can just pull the movable walls for some privacy). I like their big shower area but do take note though that they had that built in bidet within the toilet bowl type of bathroom so no separate bidet spray for washing I'm afraid. Another thing, they do have a very good and hassle free wifi connection but their tv channels mostly focused on sports so sports fans might be happy with this news.

Initially, the hotel is located within a very strategic place at the Oceanus Mall (they occupied the left side of the mall) and within a walking distance to places such as Warisan Square, Centre Point Mall as well as the Waterfront. But the Oceanus Mall itself is pretty dead now, even more so during the current situation. So I think because of that as well, their free parking area within the mall was err.. like something out of a horror movie scene (yup, it's a mystery/horror movie that we were in). The parking area was supposed to be at the far end of the 4th floor but it was actually the 6th floor (since you'll see the 1A & 3A floors right after the actual 1st & 3rd floors - I know, we were 'dizzy' as well). But most importantly, it was darkly lit and with only 1 small lift going down to their lobby (and with a 'park at your own risk' signage which means no security). Despite that, we did parked there a few times until almost to the last day of our stay, where we discovered that you could actually parked your vehicles in front of the main entrance of the hotel instead (sigh)... And we'd actually asked their valet beforehand about the parking location and he did not mention anything about it right then (insert annoyed plus face-palm emoji here).. 

But anyways... 

Type - Deluxe Room (King) 

Room - 4/5 (spacious & modern - we just loved their comfy sofa but not their soft bed & pillows though since both of us prefer the harder versions) 

Price - 5/5 (I got a pretty good deal booking from Agoda so I'm happy with that) 

Service - 5/5 (despite the little reception area episode, their staff were actually very polite and friendly) 

Decor - 5/5 (I really like their main lobby area though, especially the pretty ceiling lights)

Facilities - 4/5 (they had well maintained facilities throughout the hotel except for the attached parking area - which I think they can improve on just by making the place brighter) 

Location - 5/5 (still a very strategic place if you asked me - I mean, they ARE located by the popular KK city's waterfront)

*And here'a a collection of pictures of their (in this exact order) hotel area, main lobby, our room & swimming (and sorry folks, no pictures of the aforementioned parking area since we did not want to hang out for longer than we should there)...







Our room & its view... 










And the 8th floor swimming pool with its views (sorry for the somewhat gloomy pictures though as we went there just after the rain stops)...





 







  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment